Mold growing in your home can make you sick. You might get a stuffy nose or sore throat. Mold can also make your asthma or allergies worse. STOP MOLD! Mold grows in moist, wet places. Here are some tips to stop mold from growing in your home:
- Watch for Signs of MOLD. When cleaning, look for signs of mold. Mold can look like spots. It can be black or green. It usually grows in between tiles or in the sink.
- Clean, Clean, Clean. Clean regularly with a white vinegar and water mix to keep mold from growing. Just fill a spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water (one cup to one cup) and you're ready to clean!
- Use Your Nose. If there is a musty smell somewhere in your home –check it out. Don’t ignore it. There may be a water leak.
- Check for Plumbing Leaks. Look under the sink in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure there is no water leak. Do this during your cleaning routine.
- Shake Your Shower Curtain. Shake out your shower curtain to get rid of moisture.
- Use Fans. Use fans in moist areas, like the bathroom, to keep mold from growing.
- Keep Things Dry. Dry all surfaces after cleaning. Wet or damp areas are a breeding ground for germs and mold.
Have Mold? Clean it Now!
ACT QUICKLY. Don’t wait. It can get worse! If there's mold in the bathroom – the shower or sink – cleaning with a white vinegar and water mix should do the trick. Running a fan or opening the windows will help too.
Get HELP! TELL YOUR SUPPORTER. Don’t be embarrassed. It can happen to anyone. If you see or suspect a water leak – under the sink, in the shower, around the toilet - the leak has to be fixed first. If you are a renter, TELL THE LANDLORD about the leak. The landlord should fix any water leaks and help clean up the mold. If they don’t, you may want to contact the local housing authority to get some extra help. For more information about how to prevent mold and what to do about it, go to http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html.