What’s this Checklist about?
Do you live on your own? Or do you buy food for a family? Or do you buy food for people who live together? Food can cost a lot. For most people, saving money is important. There are ways to save money on food. Here are some things you can do:
- How much can you spend on food? Use a food budget and stick to it.
- Always shop with a list.
- Plan your meals ahead of time. That way you only buy what you will use. You can make one dish and eat it for more than one meal.
- Choose fruits and vegetables when they are in season. That is when they cost less.
- Watch for foods that are on sale.
- Use coupons or a store shopper card to get a discount.
- Look at the shelf close to the floor. Food on the lower shelf costs less.
Store brands cost less. Here are some:
- Safeway and Eating Right at Safeway
- Great Value at Walmart
- Kirkland at Costco
- Larger sizes cost a little more, but offer a better value. And you won't need to buy them as often.