Iron-rich foods can prevent anemia and keep you healthy.
MEAT and FISH contain iron that your body can use immediately.
- Beef and Chicken LIVER
- Shellfish (clams, mussels & oysters)
- Cooked beef & turkey
- Fish (halibut, haddock, salmon, small amounts of tuna)
OTHER FOODS contain a lot of iron too.
But you need to eat them together with MEAT, FISH, or VITAMIN C in order to absorb all of their iron.
Eat any of these foods…
- Breakfast cereals with iron (check the label)
- Cooked beans and lentils
- Nuts and seeds (pumpkin and sesame)
- Baked potato
- Pasta, egg noodles, and rice
- Wheat germ
with these sources of vitamin C:
- Orange and grapefruit juice
- Fruit: Strawberries, cantaloupe, oranges, and grapefruit
- Brussels sprouts
- Raw green or red peppers (NOT the HOT ones)
Some foods PREVENT your body from absorbing iron.
Eat these foods at meals that DON’T include iron-rich foods:
- Coffee and tea
- Red wine
- (White wine is okay)
- Whole grains and bran