What is weight?
- It is the number you see when you step on the scale.
- It tells you how heavy you are, usually in “pounds.”
Why does it matter?
- Many people weigh too much.
- Your weight affects how you feel.
If you weigh too much, you can get sick.
- People who weigh too much may have problems with their:
- Blood sugar (diabetes)
- Heart (a heart attack or stroke)
- Sleep (sleep apnea)
- Liver (fatty liver disease)
- Gall bladder (stones)
- Bones (osteoarthritis)
Try to stay at a healthy weight.
- A healthy weight is when your body feels good.
- A healthy weight is different for different people.
What is your healthy weight?
- Your healthy weight depends on your height and age.
- The easiest way to know your healthy weight is to ask your doctor.
What can you do if you want to lose weight?
- Talk to your doctor about a plan that will work best for you.
- A good plan might include:
- Eating healthy foods
- Eating less food
- Exercising more
Make a Plan.
Guide to Healthy Living
- The Guide (PDF) was written by the Eastern Los Angeles Regional Center and the Board Resource Center.