When you look in the mirror:
Who do you see on the outside?
- Do you like how you look?
- Do you think you’re too large or too small?
Who do you see on the inside?
- Are you happy?
- Do you think other people like you?
- Are you proud of yourself?
Who you see is always with you.
When you look in the mirror do you see:
- Someone you like, or
- Someone you don’t like?
- Do you feel good or bad about yourself?
- The answer can help you… or it can hurt you.
How does feeling bad get in your way?
Feeling bad about yourself can keep you from:
- Enjoying life
- Trying new things
- Having good friends
- Being good at your job
- Feeling bad about yourself for a long time can even make you ill.
When you feel bad about yourself, you might say:
- I can’t do anything right
- I’m afraid to ask a question
- I’m not good at anything
- I don’t believe it when people say good things about me
You can do things to stop feeling bad about yourself.
Stop bad self-talk.
- “Self-talk” is what you say to yourself that no one else hears.
- If you say things like “I can’t do it!” or “I’m no good!”
- - STOP IT!
Stop bad self-talk!
- When you say something bad to yourself, say “STOP!” very loudly inside your head.
- Keep saying “Stop!” until you really stop saying something bad.
- Now! Say something good about yourself. Say it ten times!
Try good self-talk!
Say good things to yourself each day, like:
- I feel good about myself
- I take good care of myself
- I look good
- I am smart
- I am loved
Good talk makes you feel better.
- These sayings help block bad self-talk.
- If you say them every day, you’ll begin to feel better about yourself.
- The better you feel about yourself, the happier you are.
When you feel good about yourself, you might say:
- I can do it
- I will keep trying until I get it right
- I’m good at my job
- I know the answer
- My friends really like me
How does feeling good help you?
People who feel good about themselves:
- Make good friends
- Are not afraid to try new things
- Ask questions when they don’t understand
- Are good workers
- Are usually more healthy than people who feel bad about themselves
You can do things everyday to feel good about yourself.
- Wear clothes that make you feel good.
- Do something you enjoy.
- Spend time with friends you really like.
- Say “hi” to people you pass on the street.
To feel good, take good care of yourself.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Get a check-up from your doctor and dentist at least once a year.
- Brush and floss your teeth.
Exercise your body.
- Exercise can help you feel and look better.
Set a time every day to exercise.
- Walk or run.
- Ride a bicycle.
- Dance to music.
- Climb up and down stairs.
- But… check with your doctor before you start any new physical activity.
It’s easy to do things that make you feel good.
Do something nice for someone else.
- Smile at someone who looks sad.
- Send a card to a friend.
- Fly a kite at the park.
- Plant a garden.
- Play your favorite music.
How do you feel about yourself? Feeling bad about yourself gets in your way and can make you ill.
- Feeling good about yourself can keep you healthy.
- So… feel good about yourself!
- Use good self-talk…not bad self-talk.
- Take good care of yourself.
- Do nice things for others.