A Story About John
- John lived with his mom and dad. Then he moved to a group home.
- Now he worries a lot about moving.
- When someone new comes to visit, John runs to his room.
- John is afraid that visitors will make him move away.
- He asks his support staff over and over again, “Do I have to move?”
What is anxiety?
- Anxiety is another name for worry.
You have anxiety, if you are worrying about something that is:
- New to you,
- Hard to learn or do, or
- A problem in your life.
What is stress?
- Stress happens when you are upset or afraid.
- You feel stress when you think there is something to fear or be upset about.
- A person, place or situation can cause you to feel stress.
- Things that cause stress for you may not cause stress for someone else.
Worrying can be good or bad.
- A little stress or worry can help you work harder to do your best.
- Too much worrying can make you sick.
- Too much worrying can get in the way of your everyday life.
Stress can make your body feel bad.
People react to stress in different ways.
- Some people get a headache.
- Some people get stomach aches.
- Some people feel their heart beat very fast.
What do worry and stress feel like?
You might feel:
- Tired a lot of the time
- Hungry all the time
You might have:
- Sweaty hands
- Trouble sleeping
- A dry mouth
- Trouble swallowing
- Shakes and shivers
- Tight or sore muscles
Medicine can change how much you worry.
- Some medicine helps people worry less.
- If you can’t stop worrying, your doctor might give you medicine to help.
- Some medicine makes people worry more.
- Ask your doctor if the medicine you take might make you worry.
How can you deal with worry?
Here are some healthy ways to deal with worry and stress:
- Eat a healthy diet
- Don't eat too much
- Get enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Spend time with friends
- Do things for fun
Here are some healthy ways to deal with worrying and stress:
- Don’t drink coffee or soda with caffeine
- Avoid alcoholic drinks
- Don't smoke or use drugs
- Learn ways to relax like:
- Deep breathing
Call your doctor if you:
- Can’t do anything but sit and worry
- Think about hurting yourself
- Feel afraid for no reason
- Repeat an action over and over again, like washing your hands
Call 911 if you:
- Have sharp chest pain
- Have a hard time breathing
- Feel like you are going to faint
Remember to take it easy and relax!
- Relaxing helps keep you from worrying.
- Check out 5 Ways To Take it Easy for ideas to help you relax.