Why cook at home?
- It can be fun.
- The food can taste good.
- It can save you money.
Cook the Right Way
- It is easy to cook the right way.
- If you cook the wrong way, you can get sick.
- Here are three things to remember before you start cooking.
1. Wash your hands with warm water and soap.
- Wash your hands before you get food ready to cook.
- Wash your hands before you start cooking.
- Wash your hands after handling meat, seafood, fish or chicken.
2. Wash the area where you get food ready to cook.
- Before you use it:
- Wash knives, mixing bowls or spoons
- Wash the counter; and
- Wash the cutting board with a cleaning solution
- Don’t forget to wash everything after you use it.
3. Safe ways to get meats, fruits, and vegetables ready to eat:
Wash fruits and vegetables under running water.
- Washing gets off the dirt.
If you are cooking frozen meat or chicken:
- Do not thaw it on the counter
- Put it in the refrigerator, or
- Thaw it in the microwave