When the sun stays up longer…
- It is fun to eat outside.
- You can cook outside too.
- Many people cook outside using a barbeque or grill.
Types of Barbeques
- Some people use gas barbeques.
- Some use charcoal barbeques.
- Here are safety tips about both:
- Never leave a barbecue unattended!
- Never move a lit barbecue.
- Use long-handled forks, spatulas, and spoons.
Barbeque Safety Tips
- Use a barbeque with a lid.
- Do not cook on a balcony or deck.
- Make sure the ground is flat.
- Stay away from trees.
- Cook at least ten feet away from your house or apartment building.
If there are flames on the grill:
- Do not put water on the fire!
For gas grills:
- Turn off the burners
- If it is safe, turn off the tank valve
For charcoal grills:
- Close the grill lid
If the flames do not go out:
- Report It! Call 9-1-1!
- Call the Fire Department right away.
Fight It! – But only if the fire is small.
- You may fight it after you report it.
- Use a fire extinguisher.
- If the fire gets big, or goes near the gas tank, get away from it. Wait far away from it for the Fire Department to come.